Police Report Related FAQs | Evidence Division | Prosecution Related FAQs | Animal Control FAQs | Domestic Violence/Restraining Orders

How do I have Fingerprints taken?

The organization requesting fingerprints from you will supply a fingerprint card. Fingerprints are completed for residents for the purposes of employment and/or background checks. Contact the Police Department at 603-726-3871 for more information.

I am a patch collector. How can I get one of your patches?

The Thornton Police Department does not participate in patch trading.

Is it legal for my neighbor to shoot his gun on his property?

Residents can shoot on their own property, or with permission on someone else’s property. The person must be shooting in a safe direction. It is illegal to shoot within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission or the owner or occupant of the dwelling. NH RSA 207:3-a.

Can I use fireworks on my property?

You can obtain more information regarding this on the State of NH Fire Marshall’s website under FAQ’s. http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/firesafety/fireworks/faq.html.

If I go on vacation, can I have an Officer check on my home?

Yes. You can print the House Check form on the reference page and send it to the Police Department or call the Police Department at 603-726-3871.

Where can I look up if there is a sex offender living near me?

You can go to NH State Police website and click on sex offender registry.

What is a Code Red Message?

Grafton County has instituted the CodeRED Emergency Notification System – an ultra high-speed telephone communication service for emergency notifications. This system allows us to telephone targeted areas of the Grafton County Dispatch area in case of an emergency situation that requires immediate action (such as a missing child or evacuation notices). The system is capable of dialing thousands of phone numbers per hour. It then delivers our recorded message to a live person or an answering machine, making three attempts to connect to any number. You may sign up for CodeRED by going to the Grafton County web site, and clicking on the link that says “sign up for CodeRED.”

I have locked my keys in my car. Who should I call?

The Thornton Police Department can attempt to unlock your vehicle. There is a contract that you must sign that states that the Thornton Police Department will be held harmless of any damage done to the interior and/or exterior of your vehicle. You can also contact a professional locksmith or local wrecker service.

How can I get a VIN verification?

VIN verifications can be done by a police officer, Dept. of Motor Vehicles, State Police, or a garage licensed to do state inspections.

What do I do if I receive a bad check from someone?

If you click on Bad Check Packet on the reference library page, you will find information and sample forms to use for dealing with bad checks.

Top of Page